OMD FWD 20.08.18
Hello and welcome to this week’s action-packed edition of OMD FWD.
It’s a time to be cautious on social media right now, with the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) clamping down on how influencers declare their paid sponsorships, while a new Instagram account is calling out the lack of originality on the platform. Copycats beware!
Nevertheless, the major platforms are pushing on with a host of new products and betas – see below. Also included this week are the return of classic video gaming and the latest smartphone usage stats.
- Amazon tests video ads within search results
- Netflix is also testing video promo ads in between episodes, but users aren’t impressed
- Facebook launches new ad products for video games
- The new instalment in the IPA’s AI Radar series looks at public attitudes to AI in the workplace
- Are ‘dumb phone’ sales rising because users want a break from always-on connectivity?
- Smartphones account for 62% of time spent online in the UK, according to UKOM’s Digital Market Overview
- Wishing you had more Legend of Zelda back in your life? SNES.party lets you play classic Super Nintendo games online with your friends
- A solar powered drone has completed a record-breaking flight of over 25 days
- Shelf Engine uses machine learning to reduce food wastage